FitCassie_88

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Dreaded "C" Word...Cardio


Let’s talk about the dreaded cardio…dun dun dunnnn. I have said it many times and I will say it many more, I am sure, I AM NOT A CARDIO BUNNY. If I could get away with doing no cardio at all that would be the life! Unfortunately I understand the benefits of cardio and why it is needed in a well rounded fitness routine. Some people will tell you that you don’t need to cardio that strength training is all you need. I don’t believe in “cutting” anything out of my fitness routine. This goes for food, cardio, different workouts, etc.

This week my coach increased my cardio to an hour 6 times a week in order to continue to cut body fat. Once your body gets to a point it starts to retain water, fat, etc. in order to stay “healthy”. I am trying to cut fat in order to get ready for a show which means ill have to get down to 12-14% body fat, which is not an everyday body fat percentage. With that being said I had to increase cardio in order to help my body along with this process.

In an effort to make cardio more fun and interesting I have started to do HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts 2-4 times a week. Personally interval training makes cardio more fun and it goes by faster. So why is cardio important?

1. Cardio helps burn calories which will aid in fat loss.
2. Cardio helps build the most important muscle in your body, your heart.
3. Increase in cardio exercise releases endorphins (serotonin, dopamine, etc.) which improve your mood.
4. Cardio decrease stress, mentally and physically.
5. Cardio increases your endurance which will help in strength training.
6. Cardio will help you sleep better; getting a full night sleep will allow your body to repair after intense strength training sessions.

Sounds great doesn’t it?! Well all these things don’t mean cardio still doesn’t suck! I have recent done research on HIIT workouts and sprints. Take some time and look at pictures of sprinters, they are built! HIIT has become my new form of go to cardio so I will share some of the workouts that I do.

-HIIT can be done in many different ways. The way that I like to do it is by setting up an exercise for each muscle group and doing that exercise for 30 seconds and then a rest period. Some people do exercises that will increase heart rate but not use weighted exercises. This is totally up to you. Look up some HIIT example workouts, try a few and see which ones you like best.

HIIT Workout (Full body workout)
Shoulders
-Squat Press
-Bicycle Crunches
-Jumping Jacks
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Chest
-Steering wheels with plate
-Reverse crunches on BOSU or bench
-High Knees
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Back
-Bent Over Row with Barbell
-Plank
-Mountain Climbers
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Hamstrings
-Deadlifts
-Situps
-Side to Side on BOSU ball
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Quads
-Squat with Barbell
-Glute Bridges
-Box Jumps
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Calves
-Calf Raise with Barbell
-Oblique Plank Twists
-Jump Squats
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Biceps
-Bicep curls
-Leg Lifts
-Jumping Jacks
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)
Triceps
-Triceps Extension
-Russian Twists
-Box Taps
(each exercise 30 secs back to back, 1 min rest)

My workout partner and I did this last week and it was killer!! Takes about an hour but it flies!

-I put up a treadmill sprint workout in my leg day post so be sure to check that out if you want to give sprints a try. I’ll be putting up more cardio workouts as I go into this week as well in order to help you guys along!

(Me after my hour cardio day yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment